Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Blogger Template From:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Friday, July 29, 2011

Ode to Project Runway

Well, my ultimate favorite time of year is finally here (wow that rhymes) and that is a brand spanking NEW season of Project Runway....EEEK!!  Tim, Heidi, hopeful designers...how I've missed you.  Let me count the ways: 
1.  Michael Kors' disgusted catwalk face
2.  Heidi's dominatrix "Who will be the winner, and who will OUT" line
3.  Everything that is Tim Gunn
4.  And of course...the multiple emotional breakdowns that are bound to happen when you put 12 aspiring designers in one room and criticize their very being and soul through design. 
Hand me the popcorn...please.  All joking aside when I saw this little ditty, I was reminded of Season 3 contestant Uli Herzner.  She didn't win but all of her stuff was super cute and chic.  I was of course rooting for Michael Knight as I have a habit for rooting for the underdog.
  Oh yeah, animal print maxi dress..you know what I'm talking about, and of course my partner in crime wearing his camo PJs.  What the...
Anywho, the potential was there and aside from the fact that it was quite big and long could have probably been worn as is EXCEPT...

...the potential for MAJOR side boob action.
Don't get me wrong, side boob works at the beach and if you're under 25 years of age but as neither of those apply to my current situation, I was gonna have to (wait for it....) MAKE IT WORK!!
I started by seam ripping both of the back straps and untying the knot that was designed into the dress.  I thought I was going to be left with 2 very long straps but instead found a magic halter
Wow!  Who'd have thunk it right?  I am not really a halter girl (did I mention the side boob scare?) and decided to construct some type of racer back with the existing halter.
Next, I took in about 1 1/2 inches on each side.  This ultimately brought the sides of the bust closer to the back of the dress.
Then using the "not so long" part of the strap, draped it over the middle of the halter.
Then I connected the staps at the middle and stitched, which made it 1 piece.
I then positioned the new racerback to the plunging back and stitched.
I planned on using the leftover's of this racerback to make up the difference on the sides and so overlock stitched the ends.
Next, I took the end of the racerback strap and pinned to side of bust, repeated on other side and stitched both.
And Voila, the more mom friendly, modest back.
Look Ma, no side boob.
I also stitched up the neckline to accomplish a PG13 rating this time and..
Shortened it a bit.
Any comments from the Peanut Gallery???
Dog:  "PLAY!!"
Little man:  "Mommy can I have a snack?"
Dog:  "SNACK?!?  Ruh Roh!"
Wait, I think he wants to rock the animal print too.  Do I smell Pet Challenge?
First I measured about 24 inches from my left overs and sewed into a casing
I then traced the collar of one of my hubby's shirts, cut and stitched.

I had some stabilizer lying around so I cut a piece of that and placed into my collar casing.
Then using a freebie bikini hook on one end and a plain loop on the other side, made a closure for the collar.
That completed, got ready to take the boys out and paint the town green.  With the uber fake smile trying to tell the hubby "hurry up" and take the pic.
And not to be left unnoticed..
My handsome pooch Milo rocking his totally awesome collar.

Strike a pose Milo.
Dog:  "Food?"
The Dynamic Duo, hamming it up for the camera (while sneaking a sip of daddy's Foster's).

Be happy, BE FIERCE everyone,
Lori

1 comment:

Jamie Lee @ www.ditzalee.blogspot.com said...

So, how about I went to click on your blog and it said it was no longer active and that 'mauigirldreaming' was now available to register. I will not lie Lori, I teared a little.

But, YOU'RE STILL HERE!!! You got me moving on my crazy 70's dress. AWESOME ideas!!

Lovin this dress, I pair animal prints with everything, I can just see it when I'm in my 80's I'm going to be one of those grannies with a leopard print jacket and hooker pumps :) Print is right up my alley!

Oh, and I totally agree, side boobs are ok on the beach AND if you're under 25, which I am not.

xoxo, Jamie Lee

Post a Comment